We often get folks popping in store complaining about the high cost of new mattresses.
Fair enough, the cost of living these days is quite high but think about it for a minute…
Is that mattress really that expensive considering how often and long you use it for!?
Putting Costs into Perspective
South Africans, in general, have the habit on spending more on good other can see than goods that can have a positive effect on their lifestyle. Though the paradigm shift is in motion, sometimes it’s good to take stock and reaccess our priorities.
I always ask my customers:
Why they are happy to fork out hundreds of thousands on a vehicle, which they only use on average 2 hrs a day, whereas they won’t spend R10k on a mattress which they will use for 7-8hrs every night! (for the next 5 to 10 years).
Let us unpack that example a bit:
- – On average we spend about 6-8hrs a night in bed.
- – Most folks on average spend 1-2hrs a day in their vehicle.
- – The average price of a car today is R200k. Repayments on a car that price is about R4000 pm
- – The average price of a decent bed is about R8k (obviously there are cheaper model mattresses same as there are more affordable model cars, but for the sake of simplicity, let’s use these ballpark figures)
- – Say the lifespan of both the car and mattress is 10yrs.
Doing the Maths: Spending on a Quality Mattress vs a New Car
Let’s unpack this example further by doing the actual Maths:
|Comparrison Angle||New Mattress||New Car|
|Cost||R 8,000||R 200,000|
|Average Time spent using daily||7 hours||2 hours|
|Lifespan||10 years||10 years|
|Cost per Year||R 800||R 48,000|
|Cost per Month||R 66.66||R 4,000|
|Cost per year Day||R 2.22||R 133.33|
|Cost per Hour||R 0.31||R 66.66|